The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Uffington White Horse Forum Start a topic | Search
Uffington White Horse
Re: NT Campaign second phase
24 messages
Select a forum:
Sorry if I'm teaching grannies to suck eggs, but I think we have to remember that there is a fundamental difference between EH and NT.

The National Trust is very proud of the fact that is was set up over 100 years ago and is a registered charity and is independent of Government, and receives no general government funding to run itself operation. However it does have a strange and unique statutory power to declare land inalienable - such land cannot be voluntarily sold, mortgaged or compulsorily purchased against the Trust's wishes without special parliamentary procedure. This special power means that protection by the Trust is forever.

Whereas EH is what I would call a quasi-governmental organisation. English Heritage was formally known as The Historic Buildings and Monuments Commission for England and was established by the National Heritage Act 1983. EH calls itself a "not for profit organisation" responsible for protecting England's cultural heritage, but under English and Welsh charitable law the phrase "not for profit organisation" has no legal standing. EH is NOT a charity, however it has been given the same benefits from tax relief as charities by the Income and Corporation Taxes Act 1988. Unlike NT, EH is funded by government and has wide responsibilities with national and local government.

So all in all, EH is a quasi-governmental organisation enjoying nice tax benefits, without being governed by charitable law or company law. I think this is where the phrase 'having your cake and eating it' must come from!

Reply | with quote
pure joy
Posted by pure joy
9th May 2003ce
23:00

In reply to:

Re: NT Campaign second phase (nigelswift)

Messages in this topic: