The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Churn Knob Forum Start a topic | Search
Churn Knob
frank talk
25 messages
Select a forum:
I'm not a pagan and give no particular religious significance to the ancient sites that I love to visit. I have no religious beliefs of any kind. I visit them precisely because they are often in lovely settings and because they fill me with wonder and interest at the way people used to live, and love, and die, many many years ago.

Surely it's simple common sense that you do not allow anyone, of any religion to erect gaudy and confrontational symbols on something that represents the history of our country.

I believe in Non Violent Direct Action - chop the cross down and cut the star of David down. I expect lots of namby pamby replies telling me I’m wrong. If saint so and so did preach there then hoo-flippin-hoorah, but that doesn't give anyone the MORAL right to place a huge (it is Huge!) cross so close and a star of David on the top. If their religion is so weak that they need to rely on such symbolism and icons to focus on, then at least have the decency to erect them at a suitable distance. And dare I suggest (without researching it at all!) that the reason saint so and so preached there was precisely because either (a) it was another example of christians trying to take over pre-christian sites, and /or (b) it was another example of christians taking pagan ideas / places into their religion to make it easier to christianise people who actually felt more comfortable sticking with their original traditions.

Chysauster (Cornwall) was used by the Methodists to preach and I give thanks to them for accidentally helping to bring this amazing Iron Age / Romano-British village to our attention, but English Heritage haven’t now erected a flippin great cross there for posterity (they have filled in the fogou, and erected a crappy garden shed there, but that’s pure idiot thinking rather than religious idiot thinking)

Reply | with quote
pure joy
Posted by pure joy
3rd May 2003ce
17:04

1 reply:

sabre and saws (fitzcoraldo)

Messages in this topic: