In his book Saints and Stones (ISBN 1-84323-124-7) Damien Walford Davies suggests that the name Parc-y-Meirw (meaning ‘field of the dead’) may date back to the battle of Mynydd Carn which is believed to have taken place nearby in 1081:
During the course of the fighting, three Welsh princes – Trahaearn ap Caradog, Caradog ap Gruffudd and Meilyr ap Rhiwallon – were killed by the forces of Rhys ap Tewdwr of Deheubarth and Gruffudd ap Cynan, assisted by the Irish.
Davies suggests that the death of these princes contributed towards the subsequent Norman invasion of south Wales.