The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   The Western Isles Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
The Western Isles
The Shiants
12 messages
Select a forum:
Firstly TMA Eds, if this is inappropriate please delete (I won't be offended).

During lockdown a self isolating friend has been reading over the phone (a form of therapy) from Sea Room by Adam Nicholson.

Quite a fascinating account from the custodian/owner of the islands and does include a fair amount of archaeology. I have always been fascinated that the Shiants was the last 'settlement' of the black rats (now a very rare mammal in this country). No longer though, the black rat had now been eradicated from the Shiants ...
https://www.rspb.org.uk/about-[...]-as-shiants-declared-rat-free/

Not keen on rats to tell the truth - a brown one ran across my path yesterday but do have a sort of respect for them. Chris Packham wrote about the black rat in a book I picked up by chance some years back. It changed the way I viewed them from then on.

Away, right or wrong? Black rats now longer exist on the Shiants but is now a safe place for sea birds to raise their chicks.

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
21st June 2020ce
11:47

2 replies:

Re: The Shiants (postman)
Re: The Shiants (Howburn Digger)

Messages in this topic: