The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Uffington White Horse Forum Start a topic | Search
Uffington White Horse
Re: The Uffington White Horse
30 messages
Select a forum:
Hey, thank you tjj! I'm so pleased you liked it, and appreciate you taking the time to read such a long post. I've also greatly enjoyed yours, including your last. What an evocative, beautiful description of traveling through the Avebury landscape at night. You guys are so very blessed being near these special places. I live in Armenia, which has some unique megaliths deep in the mountains at elevations up to over 3000 m, making them mostly inaccessible save for a few months between late Spring and Early Fall. They seem to date to the local Bronze Age, sometime between 2200 and 1800 BC - around the period when work on Stonehenge was winding down and the Beaker Folk showed up. So, nothing as old or on such grand scale as can be seen in your neck of the woods.

Anyway, Avebury has a special place in my heart. As a school kid I lived in England and during music camp one summer I went on an outing to Avebury. Those stones really put the hook in me. Many moons later, when I happened to discover the existence of a stone circle in Armenia, it was my memory of the incomparable Avebury that kickstarted my own obsession. Lucky for me, right around that time, as though by providence, Julian came out with the MA...and the rest is prehistory!

Reply | with quote
Posted by Zariadris
9th January 2020ce
19:01

Messages in this topic: