The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Scotland Forum Start a topic | Search
Scotland
Re: Scotland's origins
27 messages
Select a forum:
tjj wrote:
... I'm sure that the Western Isles, the west coast of Scotland and northern Ireland were once one nation - going back to the seas being the highways again. I'm guessing what you are talking about is where the people who settled on those islands and coastal areas originated from. I'd love to know because they would have been the builders of Brodgar and Callanish.

Yes, some of this is covered in another of Alastair Moffat's books that I've just finished (The Sea Kingdoms), which talks about the sea as the principal highway throughout the Western seaboard of Britain. There's a great bit about an early Irish priest/saint (St Brendan) who supposedly travelled extensively in very basic boats (curraghs) and it's perfectly possible/plausible he had reached the north Americas - at least Greenland - before the Vikings did. That book is a bit disjointed (and is paper-thin on Cornwall) but is still a very thought-provoking read.

http://homepage.eircom.net/~od[...]/PreHistory.html#BrendanVoyage

I'm very interested in the genetics work that Tiompan has mentioned earlier, although any reading seems to be fraught with a short half-life. :o)

Reply | with quote
thesweetcheat
Posted by thesweetcheat
6th November 2012ce
20:57

In reply to:

Re: Scotland's origins (tjj)

Messages in this topic: