The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Bambury Stone Forum Start a topic | Search
Bambury Stone
Re: Looks like it was right Rhiannon!
16 messages
Select a forum:
Yes we need more snakes, definitely.

That's rather amusing how the find has already been spun into something it's not. I will keep my eye out tomorrow.

It is a bit depressing if TMA is part of the research. But what can you do but bang your head on the table. Surely we have slightly loftier aims with this website, and what can you do if people want to use it for nefarious ends. I suppose it's fame and fortune that motivates these people. or do they say they're really in it for the fresh air and exercise. They can't pretend it's exciting digging up the thousandth nail or shoe buckle. They're not interested in a heap of everyday items because I see them flogging them on ebay. They're not interested in whether you can learn from the archaeological context of the finds because invariably these Major Treasures get wildly pulled out of the ground as soon as the detector goes mad and half the time they can't remember where it came from. So they must be in it for the chances of a million quid and their faces in the paper. I suppose if they want to get frostbite trudging round endless muddy fields that's up to them but couldn't they even pretend they're interested in the objects they're looking for. It's all about the £ though isn't it. I'd like to hear them deny it. Shall I now go off into some airyfairy hello-trees-hello-sky stuff about how the real treasure is actually all around them at these lovely places they're rifling. And that they're abusing the folklore by using it as merely a straightforward indicator of where treasure can be found. Etc. Oh it's not worth it is it. And I'll get accused of being snobby and that no doubt I'd be quite happy to accept my ransom cheque for handing over the loot. Do you know though, I'd be embarrassed to be paid off for finding (say) some gold cup or other. I'd sooner it just went and sat in the British Museum or some local museum where people can see it. It wasn't really the finder's in the first place was it. It was just hiding in a field minding its own business. All property is theft. Particularly in that sort of case I'm tempted to think.

Reply | with quote
Rhiannon
Posted by Rhiannon
20th October 2011ce
06:41

Messages in this topic: