The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Mother Anthony's Well Forum Start a topic | Search
Mother Anthony's Well
Re: FAO Eds; Mother Anthony's Well
16 messages
Select a forum:
tiompan wrote:
tjj wrote:
How do we differentiate between what is sacred and what is just ancient - and how do we guage what neolithic/bronze age people held sacred?

Without supporting evidence it's contemporary speculation , which also imposes the sacred/profane opposition that may not have held in the period being considered .

Thanks Tiompan, this is the view I imagined was generally held which is why I queried the word 'sacred' as opposed to just 'ancient' or 'prehistoric'. Speaking for myself only, I've travelled a meandering path of belief systems; most of everything I once held 'sacred' has fallen away as an illusion. The only thing left that seems 'real' is the incredible beauty/cruelty of Nature - while the mist is rising over the hills, a buzzard takes some small animal or bird, as does the fox. There we have it - the sacred and profane are one and the same thing.
I'll shut up on the subject now.

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
6th November 2010ce
22:25

Messages in this topic: