The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge and its Environs Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge and its Environs
Re: ANOTHER henge found half a mile from Stonehenge!
63 messages
Select a forum:
Don't get your coat quite yet. Prof Ruggles on Thornborough -

“The idea that the configuration of the henges themselves formed a spatial representation of the three stars is something that I view with considerable scepticism.”

He did, however, concede that it is plausible that the rising of the stars, in relation to the local landscape, may have been significant.

He said: “For the record, it is the other aspects of the astronomical arguments at Thornborough, notably the various alignments upon the horizon rising position of Orion's Belt, combined with the other evidence for Thornborough being some sort of pilgrimage centre, that combine to make a plausible case that the heliacal rising of Orion's Belt was the trigger that caused people to set out on their journey to the site from afar for an autumn ceremony.”

I think there's a gap in the T'boro Central Henge which would frame Orion when it was prominent in the Summer rather nicely and a similarly positioned gap in this new henge.

Also, it's notable (is it?) that these two henges appear to be very near to or over pre-existing cursuses.

Now I'll get my coat and cap and gloves....

Reply | with quote
nigelswift
Posted by nigelswift
23rd July 2010ce
08:41

Messages in this topic: