The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Silbury Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Silbury Hill
Re: Could Silbury mark a source of the Thames?
18 messages
Select a forum:
Paulus wrote:

tjj wrote:
According to Peter Akroyd's book Thames: Sacred River there are over 50 churches dedicated to St Mary (aka fertility goddess) along the route of the Thames.

Not read that one! Sounds good. Izzit!?

Thanks for your comments Paulus; I haven't read Peter Akroyd's book but came across extracts when I was researching last night (way too late), he writes about London quite a bit. I was wondering how many thousands of people have had their ashes scattered on the Thames over the centuries. A close friend of my own chose this - so the connectness of the Winterbourne to the Kennet (Silbury) and then to the Thames has a lot of symbolism for me personally. It sort of connects my present life with my past London life and gives a sense of continuity. I was quite surprised when Jim Leary came out with this theory as I thought it was just me being whimsical - I often potter about around the Lechlade area too, which is referred to as the Upper Thames.

Tiompan when I read your words "the broken waters of the goddess" I smiled of course, and if any one else had said that I would not have given it another thought ... but you are known for being cryptic so I did not so quickly dismiss it. And ping! You are not wrong, the Winterbourne which feeds into Kennet (flowing past Silbury) only flows in the winter months and does just suddenly start flowing - seemingly out of nowhere, like waters breaking. The nearest village to the actual source of the Winterbourne is Winterbourne Monkton which, like the Thames towns/villages, has a church named after Mary Magdalene (also aka fertility goddess).

Acknowledgement to Moss and her blog Northstoke where some time ago she wrote quite a bit about the church at Winterbourne Monkton.

June

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
26th January 2010ce
18:51

Messages in this topic: