The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Hill Of Uisneach Forum Start a topic | Search
Hill Of Uisneach
Journey to the Center of the Universe !!
3 messages
Select a forum:
Well, we finally made it today. The CatStone or the Mide Stone or Aill An Mireann on the Hill of Uisneach. The sacred center of Eire where the five kingdoms met. Four 'real' lands and the fifth 'etherial' world.

Here's what the sign said....

The Hill Of Uisneach
Location of the Festival Of Bealtaine
Ancient Place of Assembly
St. Patrick's Church
Sacred Center of Pagan Ireland
Site of Druid C Fire Cult
Seat of High Kings

How can you beat that for a pedigree?

Is this place important? You-betcha it is !!

The Mide (prounounced Mee or Meeth) Stone is fantastic. A huge rock, the gods only know how they moved it into it's henge near to , but not on, the top of the hill.

Next to the stone is a little Hawthorn 'grove' with several stones with deep gouges in them. The trees have been adorned with red ribbons and other offerings.

The only downer, signs from the farmer saying 'Private - Keep Out' on all the entrances to the hill (except the one to the Mide Stone). Notices I thoroughly ignored. If I'd had my trusty old bolt cutters with me I'd have snipped his fucking electric fence too. I really must make some contacts at Duchas (the equivalent of English Heritage) this week and find out just what the crack is with access to these places.

But I must end this on a high note. The magik of the Mide Stone and especially it's little hawthorn grove shall remian with me for a very long time. I know where I'll be come Bealtaine !!

Ride On !!

Reply | with quote
FourWinds
Posted by FourWinds
29th October 2001ce
19:58

Messages in this topic: