The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury
Re: Avebury Accommodation
37 messages
Select a forum:
The New Inn at Winterbourne Monkton is about a mile from the village. There's a bus every hour to Avebury, and a short walk back (take a torch, it's a wild road). That's my favourite Avebury stop-over.

The Red Lion is the pub you are thinking of in Avebury. . but they have a 'lock in' rule. You don't get a key to the pub, so you have to be 'in' by 11.30 (when they close). It's a bit like living with your parents and being 13 again. I suppose some like it!

I think there are 3 b&bs in Avebury too, but I haven't stopped at any and don't have their numbers. There are cards pinned in the post office though, perhaps you could ring them?

If you are driving, and aren't to bothered about spending time in the stones at night without driving, then Marlborough or Calne or Devizes has plent of digs.

But for my money, book in the New Inns, http://www.thenewinn.net/ catch the bus into Avebury, grab some beers, buy some tat from the shops. . and brave the mile walk back. It's nothing when you're megalith powered!

Reply | with quote
suave harv
Posted by suave harv
8th September 2004ce
22:35

In reply to:

Avebury Accommodation (Daredevil)

1 reply:

Re: Avebury Accommodation (suave harv)

Messages in this topic: