The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stony Littleton Forum Start a topic | Search
Stony Littleton
Re: Jamie and Rhiannon
31 messages
Select a forum:
Coo there's a lot of food for thought there, Nigel! I see the bit about the Silbury-game style alignment you mentioned: that the Quoit(?) 'provides the first clear view of… Maes Knoll for the traveller from the east'. and 'the top of Maes Knoll appears to move across the back of Settle/Guy's Hill just before the Quoit is reached'. I guess there's only one thing to do to check this, and that's to go out there and wander about! Maes Knoll certainly seemed an 'obvious' bit of the landscape from the circles.

It's interesting that a lot of people have said the circles are definitely to do with astronomical observations. It doesn't seem very poetic to me, not that that's got anything to do with it. I think I'd rather have some fuzzy 'ritual' explanation or the thought of blood and guts everywhere than have the site run by pin-striped mathematicians checking their watches every five minutes. But there you are. I suppose whatever their original purpose it doesn't stop me enjoying it for what it is now.

Also every time I actually visit somewhere and notice things (whether they're things our ancestors had or noticed or not) I really feel like that's the only way to really get a feel for things like alignments. It's all very well getting some computer to do a diagram of lunar alignments but surely the ultimate proof is to get out there yourself on the night in question. Assuming procession of the equinoxes, removed stones, blah blah blah. I think that's why I'm never that into astronomical alignments, I suspect it's rather like leylines and you can get all sorts of things to line up if try hard enough.

Another thing I thought was interesting was his suggestion that there could have been a gap in the ditch to the southwest nearest the cove, so you could see/travel there. I think the cove at avebury is very old? So maybe the cove at Stanton drew was similarly an early addition? Who knows. Although there's no gap in the stones of the big circle at that side I don't think.

Anyway, thanks for that – lots to think about, and thankyou for a very pleasant afternoon.

Reply | with quote
Rhiannon
Posted by Rhiannon
16th August 2004ce
14:31

In reply to:

Jamie and Rhiannon (nigelswift)

1 reply:

Re: stoney littleton (Rhiannon)

Messages in this topic: