Long Meg & Her Daughters 20
Image by postman

Took my first journey to Long Meg last week. It was great no-one was there when we arrived. Later other people came but it was still a good feeling there. Then we went to Castlerigg, it was later in the day, hot and sunny and full of people. I would have liked no-one to be there just for 5 mins so I could soak it up properly. I am looking forward to going to Avebury in the near future, does it get busy here? Think I will get up at dawn and go and have a look.

Yes, it does get busy at Avebury, only Stonehenge beats it for the number of visitors.

There are always people within Avebury.....if only drinking in the pub or lying in their beds in their homes which stand within the circle!

Avebury is massive, you can`t see it all at once. It dwarfs Long Meg and Her Daughters, which is a very large circle in its own right.

When I visit ancient sites, I like to have them to myself, but Avebury is different. The other people don`t matter, you can always find a quite spot.

If you do manage to get there early on a sunny morning, you`ll have a wonderful experience.


baz

It gets very busy, lots of traffic, busy pub, loons and travellers. There is however a lot of it so it is not necessarily difficult to find a quiet place somewhere in the complex! Have a good time there