Wallington Hall 1
Image by Hob
Wallington Hall

Wallington stone

Howdo fella
what leads you to think that these grooves were carved and not natural erosion.

FOLD!! is beautiful. Did you build it?

(a) because I have never seen a stone weathered into that shape. The natural inclination for sandstone left upright would be to slump, to become lower and more rounded, rather than hard-edged and angular. There are so many of these decorations on the tops of vertical stones - there's a family of them around Hob's stone in Wallington for contextual continuity - and add Duddo and one of the Devil's Arrows. It's a long list - of course they're carved ...

(b) Yes, I began FOLD!! with a couple of piles of stone and an odd dream - I had to demolish a tumbledown stone bothy on the way - and it took many years occasional work. It was a little like that film by Herzog which starred Klaus Ninski ! (It looks worse close up). I hope to make a little one nearby in August. They can all be seen from Hanging Shaw, Knarsdale, preferably with a strong telescope. That whatshisname based his Cumbrian whatsitcalled on my work at the Knar.

(c) It was Katherine Hepburn that said 'Never explain, never complain'. But where's Hallington Hall ?