Stony Littleton 8
Image by postman

Yup - unfortunately ghastly price of £33.00 (ISBN: 1841718807). Does not seem to have been put on the BAR website yet (http://www.archaeopress.com) but it has literally only been out for about 2 weeks.
I know many Mendip cavers (especially Wessex Caving Club and UBSS) - you're all mad :)... I think the swallets are fascinating and archaeologically they seem to have been used as a focus for ritual deposition in the Neolithic, Bronze Age, Iron Age and Roman periods (have you seen the article I published in http://capra.group.shef.ac.uk/2/issue2.html. ?). I have heard a few weird stories relating to them today from speaking to locals (I used to live in Priddy) and certainly some were used as boundary markers in Anglo-Saxon and Medieval periods. Facsinating stuff.
Jodie

I love swallets too. There are two areas of Ireland where tombs seem to be clustered around large examples. I don't think this can be by coincidence, but nobody has ever really considered them here.

I must admit I want to get your book, even though the price is steep but I have been waiting for it to come out. I also came across you in a ref. in another article this week - Churches in the Prehistoric landscape, two churches on the Polden hills - this part of the world definitely needs more exploration, and thinking about, and of course protecting.
Moss

B.A.R. books are distributed by Hadrian Books:

http://www.hadrianbooks.co.uk/

It's on the front page at present.

"I used to live in Priddy".. My fraternal grandmother was born there and married a man from Blagdon. I've explored Swildon's "my fave cave" many times.

Back on topic..Aveline's Hole is considered to be one of the earliest cemetaries in the country.
Jim.