Lodge Park 1
Image by MA Mark

thesweetcheat wrote:
tiompan wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:
We had a look at one north of Welshpool while doing Offa's Dyke Path last summer, which may have been "hengiform" (ditch on the inside). Sadly not much to look at on site. I added it as a "enclosure", to be cautious!

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/14097/crosswood_enclosure.html

The typology of henges and hegiforms is even worse than barrows or at least it was a few years ago it seems to be calming down a bit .
It doesn't help that anyone at any time in history could produce a circular feature, whereas "henge" is firmly rooted on the Neolithic. So a circular feature with an internal ditch may be hengiform, but that doesn't necessarily make it a henge (I think). :o/
Sorry TSC ,I posted too hastily on ring ditches and missed the other half . There are northern henges that date to MBA e.g. Pullyhour .Yep I think that is the general thinking hengiforms are not henges although they can have more than one entrance/causeways , they could also be round barrows but as most are ploughed out it is difficult to tell what the ditch bank relationship might have been .