Cumbria 41
Image by Chance

[quote
I could of course be completely wrong.[/quote]

Some lovely stones there Capt. I think your right.
The Cumbria axe processing site at Ehenside was beside a tarn. There were many finds of lovely axes including a hafted axe, lots of wooden implements including clubs, mallets and a paddle. There were also a number of polishing and grinding stones all of which were either sandstones and gritstones.

cheers
fitz

A couple of pictures
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/11282/ehenside_tarn.html

fitzcoraldo wrote:
Some lovely stones there Capt. I think your right.
Ditto.
The La Pierre St Martin one is especially appealling:
http://www.megalithic.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=a312&file=index&do=showpic&pid=21263

I'd also agree with the sentiment that polissoirs impart that sense of intimacy, due to the more personal scale of the things, in the same way that rock art does.

In a strange way, my rock art orientated brain gets at least as much of a buzz from a visit to Fyfield as it does from Avebury. Though that could just be a yearning for moorland ;)