Creswell Crags 12
Image by Chris Collyer
Creswell Crags

Cresswell Crags.

Hey up Baza,

Had time to get your head round Saturday yet?
What did you reckon?

nice one
stu.

Stu, to be honest, I was a little underwhelmed this time, probably because I'd seen what we were shown before. In April, I was on the last tour of the last day, so I may have seen more than you that time. Also, there was no hurry to get back because there was no one else to follow us.

I had the same bloke again, The Curator. It started off well; I managed to persuade him not to stop at the lake for a talk - we'd come to see the cave art and I wanted to spend as much time in the cave as possible. On arrival, I was disappointed to see the viewing platform was a few feet lower than before. You didn't warn me about that. The only art which was new to me was the other animals within the deer. As before, I was the only one asking questions. I became known as The Anorak. He didn't have a map with him and his eyesight didn't seem to be as good as it should have been. He couldn't find 'the vulva' so I pointed it out to him. Whilst he was talking to the others I left them to it and had a look about myself. I saw an animal with a slopeing back, like a hyena, but he couldn't see it. Jokingly, he asked me if I wanted a job; seriously, I replied "Yes please".

I'm going back again next Saturday! I'll have a different guide as the curator retires today, so I expect to see more. His departure is a loss to Creswell Crags as he's a good bloke. He wants us to be allowed into the cave and see the cave art as we did in April. I hope the monitoring equipment doesn't show up any problems.

I reckon you and I can regard ourselves as experts in British prehistoric cave art as only a handful of people have spent more time looking at it than us. :o)

Baz