The Devil’s Ring and Finger 1
Image by broen

It's believed that the holed stones may have acted as gateways to the entrances of cairns. Originally there were probably blocking disks, of stone, that kept the places shut. I think there are sites in France that have both stones. There is a suitable blocking stone here - http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/post/20523 - but I'm not sure how it would measure up to the hole. I could make a template in cardboard, next month, I guess.

Mrs G - fount of all knowledge - tells me the hole is 19.5" in diameter, the same as the one at The Brdiestones (Cheshire).

Our eldest daughter reported seeing a man dressed in a green suit with shiny buttons near the DR&F. We didn't see him but it spooked us!

A couple living in a nearby cottage reported that they conceived following a 'visit' to the stones - funny what people tell strangers ;-).

Cheers

G

And beside the blocking stone, at Holymire, is a conveniently shaped finger stone -http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/post/26073 There is also a possibilty that at this site the quoit has been broken and built into the more recent farmhouses - which are listed as Bastles - possibly as a window lintel or similar. As three of the five farmhouses are in dangerous condition investigating this proposition is difficult.

I couldn't find Bridiestones either.