Seaford Head Bowl Barrow 1
Image by GLADMAN

GLADMAN wrote:
Just wondering if anyone has a more blatant - not to say pointless -example of 'official' monument desecration than this... I really hope not, but guess I'd be surprised if there isn't.

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/img_fullsize/101529.jpg

Erm, Priddy?

Bloody golf courses, so many hillforts ruined. Norn's Tump (Glos) long barrow luckily hasn't suffered this badly, although visits will be met with the usual disapproval and tutting. Bastards.

thesweetcheat wrote:
GLADMAN wrote:
Just wondering if anyone has a more blatant - not to say pointless -example of 'official' monument desecration than this... I really hope not, but guess I'd be surprised if there isn't.

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/img_fullsize/101529.jpg

Erm, Priddy?

Bloody golf courses, so many hillforts ruined. Norn's Tump (Glos) long barrow luckily hasn't suffered this badly, although visits will be met with the usual disapproval and tutting. Bastards.

I was up on Minchinhampton Common a couple of weekends ago (when it was still sunny) and noticed there is a much denuded long barrow on the edge of a golf course. The other place I can think of is the hill fort at Painswick Beacon which forms part of a golf course.