Pen-Y-Castell 1
Image by GLADMAN

Hi Eds...

Visited this site Christmas Eve and have two points to make for wondrous TMA members.

1) I note the site is currently 'disputed'. However, it's listed upon Coflein as a 'defended enclosure'... and in my opinion is clearly of prehistoric provenance.
2) ACCESS - Sadly, I was confronted by one of the landowners on site... and have only been subjected to such a hostile tirade perhaps four or five times in my 40-odd year 'career'... threats of dobermans running wild, mad, kicking ponies, lectures re how ignorant, rude I am etc, etc. Needless to say, nearly 2,000 other farmers across the UK and Ireland have not voiced such an opinion of me, so I beg to differ. You do the maths....

The point, I think, is Pen-y-Castell is such an excellent site it deserves to be seen. We therefore had a discussion - the result of which is to make clear that in order to safeguard future access, prospective visitors MUST ENQUIRE AT PEN-Y-CASTELL FARM.

What a shame :(

I had a nice aerial view of this site during my horrible descent from Foel Fynyddau a couple of years back. Looking elsewhere, it seems your experience isn't unique, unfortunately. Others have reported furious encounters with the landowners and allegations that they were disturbing the horses and leaving rubbish. Sounds like permission is needed but it's not somewhere that you would be welcome even then.

Hope it hasn't spoiled your South Wales trip too much.