Robin Hood’s Stone (Kirklees) 1

smashing, thank you Paulus.
Not that I know anything about this alleged gravestone, have you seen it in the flesh?.

this photo of inside the railings does seem to show a little stone
http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/upper_hopton/mirfield/rh_grave2.jpg

Hi Rhiannon

Rhiannon wrote:
smashing, thank you Paulus.
Not that I know anything about this alleged gravestone, have you seen it in the flesh?.

this photo of inside the railings does seem to show a little stone
http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/upper_hopton/mirfield/rh_grave2.jpg

The stone in the link you've given is literally Robin Hood's Grave: a strange spot for more reasons than one. His inscription is blatantly not from the period given, plus the stone inside the 'tomb' aint prehistoric, but actually appears to be a Templar grave! However, Robin Hood's Stone itself is still some distance away. There are several curious unresolved aspects to the site which, until I've got 'em sorted and made sense of it all, I'm not sticking the info on-line. It appears to have been an old standing stone, but has certainly been moved from its original spot, perhaps more than once. Once we've made sense of all the data (hopefully not far in the future!), I'll pop the info on here.

Cheers - Paul