Megalithic Poems

I had read and reacted to this poem before it was posted here and I would feel slightly uneasy about reusing any of the superlatives that I have already attached to it, but perhaps Persephone will forgive me if I just make one comment?
It is so uncommon to read any few lines that can drop you effectively back into the prehistoric moment, into the lives of the people that used and erected monuments, and for whom they must have been so vitally important. While the 'grey, haunted stone on the hill' type of reference can speak to our experience, Persephone looks behind and beyond that, to the possible minds of the movers of the stones.
Anyone wishing to open a gift with their eyes can link here:

http://www.thisisby.us/index.php/?sc=2&u=7235

*I can particularly recommend 'I Was Here', which concludes with the finest few phrases of new poetry that I have read in years.

Thanks for those comments gjrk, and I completely agree with you when you say, "It is so uncommon to read any few lines that can drop you effectively back into the prehistoric moment..."

I confess I didn't know much about Maiden Castle until I read Persephone's poem, and that prompted me to do a bit of reading. There's a lot on the internet but this bit at http://www.theheritagetrail.co.uk/early%20ages/maiden%20castle.htm helps put Persephone's poem into its historical context.

"'Maiden' derives from the Celtic Mai Dun, which means great hill. It was known to have been the stronghold of the Durotriges tribe, until it fell to the 2nd Legion Augusta, under Vespasian, during the Roman invasion in AD43. The battle for the fort was a bloody one, and centered on the eastern entrance. Excavations carried out in the 20th century uncovered the bodies of 38 Iron Age warriors, who had been laid to rest by their Roman victors, along with food and drink for their journey into the after life."