Megalithic Poems

The thing I like about it is that it sort of kicks you out of the Western/Christian 21st century mindset. Maybe a little raw to our 'modern' sensibilities but words like -

...midsummer’s Queen
Hands over her whitening world to death-
The fields by severance and the woods
By slow decay. With her hair combed out
In its red gold sheaves she is perfect strength
And perfect beauty about to fade...

are timeless and might resonate with anyone today who walks in the fields and woods at this time of year; perhaps it also reflects a little of how our ancestors related to their landscape. The poem was written in 1991 by the way.

LS,
The verse you quote in your reply to Nigel Swift is indeed a vivid allegory of summer giving way to autumn and the turning of the year - I have re-read this poem a few times but cannot fathom what the symbolism of child sacrifice would be - and I'm not sure if it is based on historical fact (maybe I just don't want it to be). I accept that human sacrifice probably did take place and was wondering if anyone could throw light on any historical evidence that exists to corroborate this practice.

regards
tjj

LS,
The verse you quote in your reply to Nigel Swift is indeed a vivid allegory of summer giving way to autumn and the turning of the year - I have re-read this poem a few times but cannot fathom what the symbolism of child sacrifice would be - and I'm not sure if it is based on historical fact (maybe I just don't want it to be). I accept that human sacrifice probably did take place and was wondering if anyone could throw light on any historical evidence that exists to corroborate this practice.

regards
tjj