Megalithic Poems

I know its not a competition but let's be honest no-one is ever going to write megalithically better than that. And he's from Wilts. Can that be chance? Did it soak into him? (And its only a boring grassy mound - most poets pick on something with big mossy rocks and don't do half as well).
Anyhow, its good enough to paste back here -

Story of My Heart
Two thousand times! Two thousand times the woods grew green, and ring-doves built their nests. Day and night for two thousand years--light and shadow sweeping over the mound--two thousand years of labour by day and slumber by night. Mystery gleaming in the stars, pouring down in the sunshine, speaking in the night, the wonder of the sun and of far space, for twenty centuries round about this low and green-grown dome. Yet all that mystery and wonder is as nothing to the Thought that lies therein, to the spirit that I feel so close.

Realising that spirit, recognising my own inner consciousness, the psyche, so clearly, I cannot understand time. It is eternity now. I am in the midst of it. It is about me in the sunshine; I am in it, as the butterfly floats in the light-laden air. Nothing has to come; it is now. Now is eternity; now is the immortal life. Here this moment, by this tumulus, on earth, now; I exist in it. The years, the centuries, the cycles are absolutely nothing; it is only a moment since this tumulus was raised; in a thousand years it will still be only a moment. To the soul there is no past and no future; all is and will be ever, in now...

Richard Jefferies (1848-1887)

Aye, it's a fair bit of writing and no mistake - the line between poetry and prose gone.

What you say about him being from Wiltshire, and the place soaking into him is absolutely true - it happens to most of us. I think it's the rolling landscape there that is maternally soft, welcoming and uplifting. There's a plaque to Jefferies at Liddington Castle that reads -

LIDDINGTON HILL
THE HILL LOVED OF
RICHARD JEFFRIES
AND
ALFRED WILLIAMS*

and a little museum to him at Coate Water. I used to push me brother in a pram down to Coate, and we'd sit by the water and feed the ducks. In the distance you can see Liddington Hill and Castle - that, by the way, is my first memory of an ancient site (in this life anyway ;-)

* http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/3080