The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Skara Brae Forum Start a topic | Search
Skara Brae
Re: Skara Brae
21 messages
Select a forum:
Littlestone wrote:
What would you suggest then Mr G (towards helping to protect sites from vandalism)?

Nothing can protect a site from vandalism except the threat of retribution. Fences do not work. I've seen enough holes in fences, railings etc to see that is an undeniable fact..... I've used many of the holes for access myself. If a 'nutter' with a sledgehammer wants to do damage, the only thing that will stop him/her/it is a firearm. And that is not allowed. Or, if they have any sense at all, the knowledge that if someone sees them, they will go to prison. Period. I suggest the latter is all we have.

So how to catch them? Place a CCTV at every ancient site in these Isles. Er, no. Just the EH, or HS sites the tourists frequent, then? Perhaps. But that would imply that Skara Brae, Stonehenge, Avebury are more important than Soussons Common, or the Nine Stanes (having fires in their cists) which tourists can't be arsed to see? Or than a fine Bronze Age cairn hacked around by ignorant walkers... over and over and over again. Which. Must out of sight be out of mind?

I would say increased security isn't the answer. Increased awareness and community policing, however, may perhaps help. Signage could help also. Shame those that can be shamed into respecting what they may have considered harming. But excessive fencing will - in my opinion - 'destroy what it is meant to protect'. Monuments have to be 'used' to live, to be relevant. If I can't have access I will not go.

Reply | with quote
GLADMAN
Posted by GLADMAN
12th July 2012ce
00:17

In reply to:

Re: Skara Brae (Littlestone)

1 reply:

Re: Skara Brae (Sanctuary)

Messages in this topic: