The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Roaming on the right side.
66 messages
Select a forum:
Branwen wrote:
I'm torn with that one - I'd love to see bears in Scotland again, even if they are the regular brown bears we had, and not the anciently famous and fierce caledonian bears, which could have been a hybrid, they say. Then again, a huge area would be out of bounds between them and the wolves.

The romans quite rightly recognised the gory entertainment possibilities of the ultra violent caledonian bears and transported some back for the opening of the Coliseum back in the year 80.
I would be slightly reticent about wild bears roaming our hills willy nilly again! They weigh half a ton and while they do eat berries and stuff they arent strictly vegetarian. America already has the bear problem. We dont any more. And we dont have tigers any more either. Or lions...
I remember seeing bears at Cameron House Bear Park at Loch Lomond in the 1970's. They were free to roam in the grounds of a massive fenced enclosure which you could drive around. They used to bat around barrels and tractor tyres like they were feathers. They had Siberian Tigers and Wolves there too. Some animal rights activists released the wolves and this of course led to the slaughter of every sheep and lamb which the pack encountered. Most of the wolves had to be shot too. They shut the park in the mid 80's and built a marina, golf course and an exclusive resort in its place.
Our last wild bear was Hercules who went for a wander round Benbecula and the Uists for three weeks in 1980. He was great, real tame and I got to meet him at a Highland Show when I was wee!

Reply | with quote
Howburn Digger
Posted by Howburn Digger
16th June 2010ce
19:50

In reply to:

Re: Roaming on the right side. (Branwen)

Messages in this topic: