The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Roaming on the right side.
66 messages
Select a forum:
GLADMAN wrote:
play the 'slightly eccentric academic card' and only go quoting the law if the farmer turns out to be a muppet.

Yep, that sounds spot on. Usually the landowner/farmer just wants to check that you're not there to do any damage or on the rob. If you can demonstrate you know something about the site and ask a few questions you can often see the expresion on their faces change and they're quite happy to pass the time of day and have a chat about it, often with some useful info that you weren't aware of. If you start off by wading in with 'I know my rights etc' then you're only going to p*ss them off and make things more awkward for the folks who visit the site after you. The other alternative of course is not to get caught in the first place.

GLADMAN wrote:
over the years people frequently aren't at home.

I've found the same, if it's a farm then from early until late on the farmer's probably out working somewhere, if I can leave the car safely out of the way somewhere then I'll do that. One exception was at Gunnerkeld in Cumbria where nobody was in but as the circle is close to the farmhouse it felt like it would be trespassing to go wandering the grounds. By all accounts the family there is friendly towards visitors and it felt wrong to abuse their good will by wandering round without permission.

-Chris

Reply | with quote
Chris Collyer
Posted by Chris Collyer
9th June 2010ce
11:37

In reply to:

Re: Roaming on the right side. (GLADMAN)

Messages in this topic: