The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian



Dolmen / Quoit / Cromlech

<b>Harhoog</b>Posted by NucleusImage © Uwe Häberle 09/2020
Also known as:
  • Sprockhoff Nr. 5

Latitude:54° 53' 26.59" N
Longitude:   8° 22' 57.4" E

Added by Nucleus

Discussion Topics0 discussions
Start a topic

Show  |  Hide
Web searches for Harhoog
Show map   (inline Google Map)

Images (click to view fullsize)

Add an image Add an image
Photographs:<b>Harhoog</b>Posted by Nucleus <b>Harhoog</b>Posted by Nucleus <b>Harhoog</b>Posted by Nucleus <b>Harhoog</b>Posted by Nucleus <b>Harhoog</b>Posted by Nucleus <b>Harhoog</b>Posted by Nucleus <b>Harhoog</b>Posted by Nucleus <b>Harhoog</b>Posted by Nucleus <b>Harhoog</b>Posted by Nucleus Maps / Plans / Diagrams:<b>Harhoog</b>Posted by Nucleus <b>Harhoog</b>Posted by Nucleus


Add fieldnotes Add fieldnotes
At the south-eastern end of Keitum, right on the edge of the tidal flats, lies the Harhoog, a giant bed with an extended dolmen or rectangular dolmen. The tomb was moved here in 1954 because it had to make way for the expansion of Sylt Airport.

To get to the grave, turn into the road Gurtstig at the roundabout in front of the entrance to Keitum. Follow this for about 900 m, then turn left into Christian-Peter-Hansen-Allee and then take the next road to the right (Melnwai). After approx. 70 m turn right into the street Am Tipkenhoog and follow this for 250 m to a large parking lot on the left. Park your car here and walk the remaining 300 m to Tipkenhoog and Harhoog.

Visited September 2020
Nucleus Posted by Nucleus
25th October 2020ce
Edited 25th October 2020ce

taken from the on-site hünen.kulTOUR information board:


The Harhoog is a giant bed from the Neolithic (New Stone Age). The mound of the giant bed was originally about 32 m long. In the middle of the mound enclosed by boulders was a rectangular dolmen as a stone chamber. (Picture below)

The Harhoog was originally located on the "Weenk" hill, which was built up in prehistoric times, southwest of the Keitum Church. The mound, which was about 1.8 m high at that time, only protruded about 60 cm over the hill. Part of the mound was excavated in 1926 because of the expanding gravel pit. Nearby was another giant bed, probably of the same type, which was removed in 1937. In 1954 the Harhoog was relocated to its current location due to the expansion of the airfield.
Nucleus Posted by Nucleus
25th October 2020ce