The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Brimham Rocks Forum Start a topic | Search
Brimham Rocks
Brimham Rocks
1 message
Select a forum:
Firstly hello… new to the site and all things stone-ie

So spent today looking for the lost stone circle as I live near by. I’m sure many smarter people than me have looked, so no surprise when we found nothing.

A few things obviously August so Brimham Ricks is crazy busy but if you drop off the side by only 20 feet you will spend the day on your own. I know the blue chip stones are amazing but come on branch out a bit.

Anyway went to Cannon Rock and went west 80 yards it drops down quite quickly still now in light woods. Nothing obvious! So plotted 300 yards and headed to where the stone circle is shown ( a little to the left of the house and trig point). 300 yards leaves you short of where it’s shown on the map but spent a good hour or so walking the woods. So went to the trig point and the high point plateau which is not very big it drops off quite quickly.

August is tricky the ferns are high and there is clearly so much natural stone it is like a needle in a haystack, even the bilberries could hide the stones. Might go back in the winter and have another poke around.

Interestingly at the bottom of the escarpment is a farm and in one of the fields was a pile of stones that looked different to the naturally placed ones. Although the stones are not as big as shap circle in Cumbria it did have that feel about it.

So it was a great day! found some parasol mushrooms, spent an almost isolated day in probably one of Yorkshire’s busiest beauty spots! Might not have found what I was looking for but had great fun trying.

Anyway be interested if anybody has had more luck than us, or your thoughts on said missing circle.

Reply | with quote
Posted by WinoHGT
15th August 2021ce
22:27