The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge and its Environs Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge and its Environs
Re: Stonehenge Tunnel Decision
37 messages
Select a forum:
thesweetcheat wrote:
I found this a well-balanced read on the subject, avoiding a lot of the emotive and hyperbolic language used elsewhere. It sets out the conflicting views well without resorting to sensationalism.

https://wildhunt.org/2020/11/p[...]project-set-to-move-ahead.html

Thank you tsc (and hello, feels like a long time). Yes, that is a good article, was very pleased to see Caroline Wise quoted as she is someone I have a great deal of respect for, albeit she doesn't come solely from the archaeological perspective on this. It would not be correct to say I am ambivalent though I can see both sides of the debate. My personal view is ... if in doubt, DON'T. There has to be a way in the near future of reducing all traffic on roads otherwise any thoughts of slowing done climate change will come to nothing. Anyone who has ever seen a new road or tunnel being constructed will know the heavy toll it takes on the surrounding land. However much tree planting or grass laying is done afterwards the Stonehenge landscape is one that cannot be put back.

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
13th November 2020ce
11:30

In reply to:

Re: Stonehenge Tunnel Decision (thesweetcheat)

1 reply:

Re: Stonehenge Tunnel Decision (thesweetcheat)

Messages in this topic: