The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge and its Environs Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge and its Environs
Re: Stonehenge Tunnel Decision
37 messages
Select a forum:
There is much in the article I could take issue with but I'd like to point out that the picture and the quote "if you look to the right children, you won't see Stonehenge" is mine. It doesn't "imply" that will happen it IS fecking going to happen, and as we've said today:

"In the next century alone, hundreds of millions of people will be deprived of seeing the stones as the Romans, the Anglo-Saxons, the Elizabethans, John Aubrey, William Stukeley, Samuel Pepys, Darwin, Turner, Constable, and Obama saw them and as every archaeologist in English Heritage, Historic England and the National Trust has seen them. No traveller will ever again see a rainbow over the stones. This is not “helping future generations to appreciate the stones”, it is stealing the future’s heritage for a road scheme, and painting it as educational. The future will not be fooled, it will be contemptuous."

If an old codger like me can be utterly scandalised by what's happening I'd hope a lot of non-codgers will be too.

Reply | with quote
nigelswift
Posted by nigelswift
13th November 2020ce
09:59

In reply to:

Re: Stonehenge Tunnel Decision (thesweetcheat)

1 reply:

Re: Stonehenge Tunnel Decision (thesweetcheat)

Messages in this topic: