The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge
Re: The Sarsen Route to Stonehenge
14 messages
Select a forum:
nigelswift wrote:
I seem to remember we did some research to see what the land was like round the Avon at that time and decided it would have been forested or marshy, suggesting both dragging and stone rowing would have been difficult so they might have used a barge.

I see Susan Greeney says the next step is to research the likely route, so that should be interesting.

Hello @nigelswift
Ah... I seem to remember that now. Although my understanding was that “our” research was actually just you ????. So credit where it’s due.

On Day 2 of Foamhenge, we were able to reasonably demonstrate (or so I felt) that the block could have been drawn forward on a roller track, which might have helped spread the load (although I seem to recall our concrete block was not the full 40 tons of the prototype - which was fortunate for one of our number). The morphology of the Avon is the factor here, I suppose - whether there’s enough depth beneath the ‘keel’ of a barge to be able to float it down to Durrington or thereabouts. Interesting stuff...

Peace

Pilgrim

X

Reply | with quote
Pilgrim
Posted by Pilgrim
30th July 2020ce
17:41

In reply to:

Re: The Sarsen Route to Stonehenge (nigelswift)

Messages in this topic: