The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Notre Dame
14 messages
Select a forum:
PMM wrote:

Notre Dame is a soaring and magnificent symbol of the Churches link between the fall of Rome and the Dark Age that followed, to the Renaissence, built upon what had been carried through of Greek and Roman knowledge. It's not just a part of Parisien or even French cultural heritage. It's part of Europe's.

I hope they can save at least some of it.

I liked the flying buttresses. They reminded me of Jessie King's illustrative style somehow. Got friends that stay in Montreuil and our favourite place to eat is a wee Cafe just across the road from Notre Dame. They do a lovely steak (my son's fave).

https://goo.gl/maps/wv5rbXcYLhx

Don't know about links to the fall of Rome or Dark Ages (I think it is well after that time) but it certainly had real Gothic stuff, amazing stone carvings (got some dizzying photos from up top of the weird gargoyles gaping out over the city). Inside, the wood reeked of age and the walls were hung with loads of tapestries and gilded icons.

Looking at that footage from yesterday I cannot imagine any wood or art has made it through to today. I glad I went there a few times. They could well be renovating it for centuries.

Reply | with quote
Howburn Digger
Posted by Howburn Digger
16th April 2019ce
08:11

In reply to:

Notre Dame (PMM)

1 reply:

Re: Notre Dame (thesweetcheat)

Messages in this topic: