The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   West Yorkshire Forum Start a topic | Search
West Yorkshire
'Under the Rock' - Benjamin Myers
3 messages
Select a forum:
I have never been to Yorkshire, an omission I must rectify - especially now I'm reading a fascinating book by someone new to me called Benjamin Myers who, although originally from the north east, moves from London with his partner to Mytholmroyd in the Upper Calder Valley - under the shadow of Scout Rock. Among many other things he has a deep interest in the poet Ted Hughes who was brought up in Mytholmroyd and who references the 'dark rock' in many of his poems.

Myers likes to make lists, in his chapter Wood he makes a list under the heading of "Stones, Ruins, Cairns, Boulders, and Geological Curios of the Upper Calder Valley" ...
The Devil's Rock
Rudstoop Monolith
Robin's Hood Penny Stone
Robin Hood Rocks

Churn Milk Joan
Miller's Grave
Great Rock
Midgley Moor Standing Stone or Greenwood B

Two Lads
Roms Hill Stone
New Edge Chalybeate
Scout Rock

Bridestones
Slack Bottom Stone
Turley Hole Stones
Turvin Stone

Stones Farm
Standing Stone Hill
King Common Rough
Rocking Stone

"The soil is rich with stories to pique the interest of the curious. It is the Yorkshire way to mythologise, and the only thing that spoils a good story is the truth."
Under the Rock - The Poetry of a Place by Benjamin Myers

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Under[...]amin-Myers-ebook/dp/B077FPX3YL

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
23rd July 2018ce
21:11

Messages in this topic: