The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Avebury Forum Start a topic | Search
Avebury
Re: The Geometry of Avebury
18 messages
Select a forum:
MG wrote:
tiompan wrote:
MG wrote:
Hello George, The link to Pete's film based on your calculation of the parallel is still on the site of Eric Avebury. I can't seem to link to it from here but could do this morning.

It's the one from 15th May or end July of 2009 from the palisades enclosure, which of course works very well.

My one from the Spring Equinox that year did not involve moving the tripod, as that would have defeated the whole object, but I was a bit close so I had to alter the camera angle and zoom in part way through. This is because I didn't know at the beginning that the sun was going to rise close to the angle of the slope. Of course once I realised what was happening I had to try to complete the sequence, so I posted it to Youtube with all it's inherent ineptness because it was the occasion of the discovery.

It is of course very dramatic and beautiful even when the sunrise is steeper than the slope because as the sun rises it gets brighter and so appears to get bigger. It actually works well on the summer solstice; you may remember that there was a line among the palisades crop marks that ran at the azimuth of summer solstice sunset towards Silbury Hill. My later videos are from the end of that line in another palisades enclosure and work perfectly well. It seems to me entirely possible that the people who used the palisades enclosures noticed the sunroll effect and made something of it. I don't think anyone can argue that it was the reason for building Silbury Hill but I do think that if Silbury Hill was in any way the centre of a sun cult, which we don't know but it might have been (Sil, Sol), then the sunroll could reasonably be seen as a fitting attribute to that, no matter how many Tesco's roofs might have the same slope.

Hello MG , surely Marina ? .

Thanks ,forgot about about Erics site .Will have a look .
I hope nobody thought that there might have been a suggestion that the roll was anything to do with the build of Silbury .
It may have been noticed , but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't , you have to be at the right place at the right time then stop and continue watching ,and would it have had the same appeal as it does to us moderns who can capture it .
It turned out that they are quite common but have gone unnoticed or unremarked . My personal take is that it is coincidence .

Yes, it's me.

I think that in the moment of standing there at 6am under a clear sky with Silbury Hill arising in front of me out of a ring of mist, like the mythological primeval island arising out of the sea of Nun, to then see the rising sun begin to slowly follow the angle of the slope brought to my mind the ancient Egyptian ritual where the new sun king ascends the stepped pyramid to reach the throne of Isis on the top of it.

In that moment it may well have seemed to me that the whole place had been created just to express that sort of idea, and I would not have missed that moment of 'revelation' for anything because it is a very beautiful poetic idea, but as soon as you take an interest in Silbury Hill and start reading about the stages in its construction it is clear that, while it may well have been intended to symbolise a new axis mundi of the type expressed in the above symbolism, the angle of the slope cannot possibly have been a consideration at the beginning.

It's also very true as you say George that it's a phenomenon more suited to being watched on video. When you are standing there with a camera you are far more likely to think about how to line it up to get it to work and also to bother to stay there and watch it all the way through; it can take two hours if you are close enough to the hill, or longer! I once got up at 2.30am to photograph the summer solstice sun rising up the side but the only viewpoint was ridiculously close up and the slope that side has two deep undulations. I was there for three hours. I might still have the sequence but I think it was unusable because the sun became too bright and massive too early on. The winter solstice sunrise is do-able, although the slope is not entirely perfect.

However from a good distance away such as within the area of the palisades enclosures where Pete's position was for the parallel you calculated, or from the other palisades enclosure at the end of the line on the palisades map which followed the azimuth of summer solstice sunset towards Silbury Hill there are excellent views with good straight slopes of an event which lasts 20 minutes and is spectacular to watch. On camera the sun tends to grow in diameter relative to what is seen by eye, and more so as it rises higher. Watching the real event the correct parallel becomes more important.

I can easily imagine people sitting in those palisades enclosures with a spectacular sunroll behind them totally unaware of it, surrounded by light pollution from their campfires and thinking mainly of pork bellies, so yes; Silbury Hill was built with slopes close to the angle of repose in order to give lasting stability to its shape and this happens to be close to the angle of sunset. Your take on it is certainly a possible reality.

My take on it, considering the symbolism of round mounds in ancient civilisations generally, and considering the habit of builders and architects of these civilisations to exploit natural coincidences in order to relate buildings to their surroundings, and considering the crop mark which is part of the palisades map that runs towards Silbury Hill at the azimuth of summer solstice sunset, is that the architects perhaps did not miss that opportunity.

I know that you calculated the parallel just to demonstrate that it was possible not that it was necessarily meaningful, but architecture is almost always intended to be meaningful, and if the sun was in any way meant to be associated with Silbury Hill then its slopes may not have needed much modification to accommodate a few sunroll viewpoints.

I do know of course that that's partly speculation but it's reasonable speculation given that the sunroll viewpoints do exist and that a solar association with Silbury Hill is entirely possible.

I remember going every morning in May (2010 I think) to see when the light beams from the rising sun would start getting back into WKLB from the other side of the front blocking stone. It was around the time that Steve M. was looking for a sunroll to maybe land in the spring next to Silbaby.

The light beam got in to WKLB again on 12th May, and there was a clear enough sky to see it enter the South chamber on 15th May. I ended up watching your sunroll with a small group of people the same evening from Pete's tripod position in the palisades enclosure.

Silbury Hill was built a thousand years after West Kennet Long Barrow was closed up but I now know that that light beam enters the south chamber of WKLB for four days (at least) from 11th/12th to 15th/16th May and in late July around the time that the sun rises at 60 degrees from North. The July dates for the light beam reach up to the time of Lughnasadh.

There seem to have been records of local people celebrating Lughnasadh on top of Silbury Hill into the 18th century, along with horse racing and bull-baiting. Lugh is of course a sun god.

It is impossible to know for certain I grant you but I think it would be a mistake to dismiss the idea that any of these things may have possible significance.

The fact that I acknowledge this does not mean that I am obliged to confuse evidence with proof!

Hello Marina ,

Steve's book just arrived , surprisingly early , looks great .

Talking of West Kennet . I think I probabaly mentioned this on forum and possibly here too ."West Kennet Long barrow is aligned 85 degrees =/-1 . Construction date from recent accurate dating combined with Bayesian statistics is 3640 -3650 cal BC .
On the week before equinox 3640 BC there was a full moon seen from the barrow at an orientation of 85 degrees as this coincided with a setting sun 180 degrees in opposition the moon would appear red and have a 30% chance of eclipsing that night.
Furthermore Saturn and Jupiter were in conjunction with the moon that night . " Not necessarilly meaningful but worth pointing out .

Reply | with quote
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
18th May 2016ce
20:13

Messages in this topic: