The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: John Michell lecture
353 messages
Select a forum:
"I think Men an Tol is one of the worst sites in Penwith to get into an argument over. The altitude of its horizons is quite extreme, "

Not sure what you mean by "extreme " , if you mean steep or high it certainly isn't that . even if it were as long as the sun rose over it on My day we can talk about what the azimuth or bearing might be .

"its shape and size in its original form as a stone circle is not clear, neither is the location of its centre."
That didn't stop John Michell using it in TOSOLE

" I suggest suspension of the terms 'right' and 'wrong' too. Sorry, but reality isn't a simple binary equation."

The reality is that the sun would not have been seen to rise on the horizon as seen from from the monument on May day on he the bearing he suugested .He believed that was "right " because it suited his purposes to connect it with the same bearing as the "ley" ,which was also problematical . But he was wrong.

To quote Bertrand Russell: "War is not about who is right, it's about who is left".
The quote is a wee bit different but more to the point we are not talking about war .

[/quote]

Reply | with quote
tiompan
Posted by tiompan
10th May 2016ce
18:36

In reply to:

Re: John Michell lecture (Paldywan)

1 reply:

Re: John Michell lecture (cerrig)

Messages in this topic: