The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stripple Stones Forum Start a topic | Search
Stripple Stones
Re: Cornish Collection
11 messages
Select a forum:
Hi Roy

I hoped you'd stop by on this one. That's excellent news, thanks for confirming. Does the report mention the shallow post holes issue? If I remember rightly this was identified again when the first three stones were put back up as a reason not to do more, so presumably someone has re-interpreted?

Re the size, it's not so much the size as the order that feels unsatisfying somehow, but it's a purely personal response to visiting the site. I've been to plenty of sites with varying sized stones (including my favourite of all at Boskednan) and there's usually some sense that the stones are graded - just about every RSC has graded stones - or at least that putting the big stones at particular points is deliberate (for example at Avebury). Here it seemed more random, although I haven't got any knowledge of celestial alignments etc that might provide an explanation. Mind you, the simplest explanation might just be sloppiness! After all, the plan is not very circular (the NW arc is almost straight) and they didn't dig proper holes, so maybe they just didn't know what they were doing :)

tsc

Reply | with quote
thesweetcheat
Posted by thesweetcheat
23rd June 2019ce
12:32

In reply to:

Re: Cornish Collection (Sanctuary)

1 reply:

Re: Cornish Collection (Sanctuary)

Messages in this topic: