The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Stonehenge - again!
49 messages
Select a forum:
nigelswift wrote:
"It's very small-minded to resent other people getting something for free"

So let's test your large-mindedness:

EH is skint. It has been given just £80 million to look after 400 massive properties forever and told to raise any further money if and where it can. Money matters.

The Druids say less than 2 dozen of them are present in the circle at Solstice yet tens of thousands are there insisting they should contribute nothing towards the £200K cost of the event - because it's their right.

So, how much money do YOU think is OK to spend on maintaining their (unproven) right? 400K? £1 million. £5 million? Surely you have a figure in mind at which you'd say - no, it would be better spent on some other heritage preservation? Or is there no limit lest someone calls you a Daily Mail reader?

Come on, no wriggling, how much should the event be subsidised by?

PS, lest you didn't notice, no wriggling! : £--------

Silly argument, Nige. The money issue is just a smokescreen for the unrestrained bile that you seem to aim at every single individual that attends the solstice, without discrimination. If you adopted a more balanced, impartial tone, I might be more inclined to discuss the issue of finances with you ;)

If money's the priority, then I'm sure you'd agree that because they're skint, EH should turn Stonehenge into an actual theme park to generate cash to look after all the other sites of which they're the custodians. I mean there has to become a figure at which that would make sense, right? What if they could raise £200k/pa? £400k? £1 million. £5 million? No wriggling! : £--------

Apply same argument to the idea that they should close public access to most free-entry sites to reduce maintenance costs. Rinse and repeat.

I think there's a valid debate to be had around solstice access and the cost of allowing it, but now one filled with hyperbole and venom.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Mustard
15th August 2014ce
15:21

In reply to:

Re: Stonehenge - again! (nigelswift)

1 reply:

Re: Stonehenge - again! (nigelswift)

Messages in this topic: