The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge
something and nothing
9 messages
Select a forum:
This is only vaguely interesting, but I was looking at some of the 'commons' photos on Flickr (from various big archives) and spotted this photo of stonehenge
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4[...]photolist-fhnCBU-duvvU8-duB7vG
and I thought... something's not right about this. And do you see, the chalk byroad isn't in the right place. And there was me thinking that lane was like a thousand years old. But it's not. Looking old maps it moves between the 60s and 70s somewhere, it moves further away from the circle, to be at the opposite site of the car park. Things are always being changed at stonehenge, aren't they. And yet it seems like a sort of anchor in time because it's so old.

(and so, I thought, does that mean it used to cut across the cursus in a different place? But no, it just goes at a different angle and crosses it in just the same place. And it isn't there at all on the 1900 map!).

geeky or what. sorry.
(The photo is 2nd world war from a US air force plane, the 125th squadron who were based at Erlestoke.)

Reply | with quote
Rhiannon
Posted by Rhiannon
30th January 2014ce
20:30

Messages in this topic: