The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Silbury Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Silbury Hill
Re: Silbury Hill trespassers
295 messages
Select a forum:
nigelswift wrote:
"you cannot ban the public on the grounds that the hill is being damaged"

The "consensus" here is not to "ban the public" but to better explain the damage problem to them and appeal to their better nature. If they are going to say "well some achaeos and the occasional film crew and official Druid goes up therefore I'm going to as well" I'd suspect they are looking for cover to do what they intended to anyway.

Personally, I would be against renovating and throwing open the main path as that would result in 500x more people going up and a commensurate increase in erosion.

My stance on this in the past has always been to 'ban' or rather educate visitors not to walk on Silbury, now after reading all the posts in this thread I've learnt that Silbury is not going to collapse and is in no imminent danger other than surface erosion (which is happening all the time to the Henge banks). I still think people should be educated not to walk up as that clearly is what is most beneficial for the monument and the best way to do this is information boards explaining why.

Perhaps we should have a new topic to discuss 'what does Silbury mean to you' ... why for example does the official Druid need to go up there when Silbury can be appreciated (venerated even) from so many other high vantage points nearby. For myself, it is far more than an ancient mound of grass covered chalk - hard to put into words.

Reply | with quote
tjj
Posted by tjj
12th January 2013ce
09:58

In reply to:

Re: Silbury Hill trespassers (nigelswift)

Messages in this topic: