The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Silbury Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Silbury Hill
Re: Silbury Hill trespassers
295 messages
Select a forum:
nigelswift wrote:
"

Personally, I would be against renovating and throwing open the main path as that would result in 500x more people going up and a commensurate increase in erosion.

Unsurprisingly, with respect, I'd have to disagree.

My vision of the future:

A single path is reinstated along the lines of the former so that fresh archaeology is not disturbed to any great degree.

The site is sympathetically fenced with a main entrance. CCTV is installed.

The public pay a small fee to be taken to the top via the path with a paid guide. Say a dozen at a time.

At no time are they allowed or encouraged to step off the path.

On reaching the top a smallish protected area is set aside for the 12 visitors to take photos or just take in the view.

After 10 minutes? they return to the entrance and the next group make the ascent.

No damage whatsoever has taken place and the path is maintained regularly. Other than the odd person or two that takes humbrage at having to pay and enters illegally under the gaze of CCTV cameras no feet will tread the surface and no further erosion taking place.

The hill will return visually to its condition prior to the ban being put into place and when the path was commonly used.

Of course this would be subject to H&S.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
12th January 2013ce
09:55

In reply to:

Re: Silbury Hill trespassers (nigelswift)

Messages in this topic: