The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Silbury Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Silbury Hill
Re: Silbury Hill trespassers
295 messages
Select a forum:
VBB wrote:

Let's face it we all know the temptation is great, but it simply has to stop and a reasonable solution found.

I've never been tempted, tbh.

Thinking about it, I'm not sure that anything more than a decent fence is needed. That won't stop the most determined, but it will deter the vast majority. And given that the problem is the number of people climbing the hill, then a fence would seem to offer a solution.

I do wonder whether flooding the land around it would be viable, or would it cause permanent damage? Alternatively, I think maybe a properly constructed path and a viewing platform at the top might not be such a bad idea. Yeah, it would have a visual impact, but it's not as though the hill or its surroundings look anything like the would have done at the time of construction anyway.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Mustard
9th January 2013ce
09:36

Messages in this topic: