The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Silbury Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Silbury Hill
Re: Silbury Hill trespassers
295 messages
Select a forum:
VBB wrote:
tjj wrote:
bladup wrote:
Well that would have freaked me out, seeing a camera flying around on it's own, would you really like to see razor wire at Silbury [or anywhere]? I think that would be a sad sad day, I just wish people would stay off when it's wet [as that's when the most damage occurs].

No disrespect to the person who brought 'razor wire' into the debate but to be honest I'd rather see Silbury fall down.

That might have been me, I may have mentioned that is how discussions ended, and no one wanted to see it not least because of the aesthetics. Same problem goes for the path round the base or perimeter. In 2001 the first annual protest meeting was held at the site on the anniversary of the collapse, and having agreed everyone should stay off, bless 'em they all bar very few did. One only hopes the same will apply now.

I would though correct the impression that this is only a wet weather problem. Those monitoring the site several times a week have been recording the wear since 2008, the wear takes place throughout and is just worse in wet or warm weather, not least because more feet are attracted to climb when it isn't raining thus etching the archaeology away when it is dry.

A serious question. Is there any evidence to indicate that the hill has shrunk in height at all?

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
8th January 2013ce
19:12

1 reply:

Re: Silbury Hill trespassers (Littlestone)

Messages in this topic: