The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Silbury Hill Forum Start a topic | Search
Silbury Hill
Re: Silbury Hill trespassers
295 messages
Select a forum:
Mustard wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
Mustard wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
That's what I said!

But that's never going to happen, is it? EH aren't about to shell out that kind of dosh.

So it's a pointless exercise then. They may as well reinstaste the old chalk track which we all walked up when I was younger and just maintained it as and when. Works for the banks of the Great Circle. They can then turn their attention to the roof of the WKLB which has been worn away but nobody seems to care a fig about that!

That might be the only viable solution. Personally, I'd fence it off as discretely as possible and see if that reduces numbers down to a level where damage is negligible. If that doesn't work, then the only option is to live with the fact that people will climb the hill, and do whatever's possible to mitigate any potential damage - like putting a footpath up it.

That's what I would do as I've said on a previous discussion. Got the usual replies that they wouldn't always stick to the path, but I bet most would if it's easier walking.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
7th January 2013ce
16:21

In reply to:

Re: Silbury Hill trespassers (Mustard)

Messages in this topic: