The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Stonehenge Forum Start a topic | Search
Stonehenge
Re: New study challenges timeline
213 messages
Select a forum:
BuckyE wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
I don't agree calling them archaeos is necessarily insulting per se, it's all about context as they say: loads of archaeos use the term for instance. I also don't think calling them things like MPP is usually wrong - it's affectionate and signals everyone knows them, which is a complement - and again, archaeos do it.

The point being, Buck, ;) so long as those terms are used where there's a general climate of respect for archaeology and science the terms are harmless. If on the other hand they are used where the climate is otherwise, then of course I agree with all you say wholeheartedly.

Nige

Almost, Nigel. But --respectfully of course-- not quite, and there's the rub. It's not "where there's a general climate of respect for archaeology and science..." It's where the terms/acronyms are being bandied about amongst the inner circle/the accepted-as-members-of-the-crowd. THEN it's OK, because it's part of the in-crowd privilege: to use the short-hand, intimate, amongst-friends terms.

It's NOT OK when the out-crowd does it, because in that case it's automatically recognized as the out-crowd apeing the in-crowd, which is tantamount to gate/party crashing. Which is trying to arrogate privileges one has not earned.

Sorry.

And in the end, potential crashers or not, there's also the issue of "...a general climate of respect..." which emphatically, absolutely does not prevail here. Sorry again.

LOL
I'm a carpenter by profession and the world and his wife call me 'Chippy'. Likewise an electrician is 'Sparky', a bricklayer a 'Bricky', but none of us take offence to the term as it is seen as a term of recognition, acknowledgement and endearment to us in the building trade.
However, if I was discussing them with someone not familiar with those professions then I would call them a Carpenter, Electrician or Bricklayer. The term Archaeo is completely known to us all here and perfectly respectful under the circumstances I feel BuckyE.

Reply | with quote
Posted by Sanctuary
11th December 2012ce
06:45

Messages in this topic: