The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Highland (Mainland) Forum Start a topic | Search
Highland (Mainland)
Re: Contemporary natural shrines upon the landscape.
24 messages
Select a forum:
At least one 'wee cairn' is to a small child who sadly died in a road accident. Spoke to one person last time I was there who was putting flowers down for an elderly relative who was a keen hillwalker and loved this area. Pretty apt memorial and place for it I thought if you consider the view, which from Cairn O Mount (imo) is very special.

Don't know about down your way but I find it quite strange that lots of 'modern' cairns e.g. those built with stones and cement seem to appear on hills quite a lot up here, especially those dedicated to landowners and various lords and ladies in the 1800's onwards. Some of these people probably deserve their memorial but others are probably guilty of destroying circles and cairns etc., so somewhat ironic to have a cairn built to remember them.

Reply | with quote
drewbhoy
Posted by drewbhoy
1st July 2012ce
14:29

Messages in this topic: