The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   Heifer Law Forum Start a topic | Search
Heifer Law
Iron Age Site with WW2 secret
15 messages
Select a forum:
Well I always like surprises when I go out looking at ancient stuff but I had a totally unexpected one today.

Went to the Iron Age enclosure at Heifer Law, north of Alnwick. One that's been on my list for a while and well worth a visit.

While I was there I noticed what looked like to wells, rectangular holes in the ground with iron gratings over them, one with brickwork round it. Never seen this sort of thing before in this context (Iron Age, ditched enclosure) so had a look round on the web.

Found this site http://www.coleshillhouse.com/[...]law-auxiliary-zero-station.php

Basically, during WW2 the army built an underground site for resistance fighters to use in the event of an invasion. I'd heard of these before but had no idea one was here. As a result it's pretty certain that at least one of the mounds in the enclosure is from the 1940s and was used to hide the main entrance.

Anyone else found anything like this in their travels before?

Mac

Reply | with quote
mascot
Posted by mascot
14th August 2011ce
16:50

Messages in this topic: