The Modern Antiquarian. Stone Circles, Ancient Sites, Neolithic Monuments, Ancient Monuments, Prehistoric Sites, Megalithic MysteriesThe Modern Antiquarian

Head To Head   The Modern Antiquarian   General Discussion Forum Start a topic | Search
The Modern Antiquarian
Re: Savages and howling barbarians...
29 messages
Select a forum:
moss wrote:
Atkinson though committed the great crime of not publishing the results of his excavations, on two very important sites, namely Stonehenge and Silbury, for which he has been lambasted .

Absolutely. Failure to do that was a terrible thing, certainly by the 1960s. It's the act of a right selfish monkey if you ask me and there's no "hindsight" defence.

Mind you, he does embody the principle that official "Truth" is politicised and changes when convenient. EH said not a word against him for decades (as to do so would be to criticise their predecessor organisation I suppose) and then suddenly about ten years ago they (four of them) laid into him in British Archaeology in the run up to the Silbury dig (better the predecessor organisation was seen as at fault at that stage I suppose).

As I heard it (once removed) from one of the last surviving Atkinson Silbury diggers they were left to their own devices entirely during the tunnel filling phase and didn't see an archeo for weeks on end and didn't even try to fill it fully. At one point, allegedly, they ripped some of the timber lining down and had a bonfire inside the tunnel. So we can stick that (alleged) negligence onto his charge sheet next to the non-publishing one.

Reply | with quote
nigelswift
Posted by nigelswift
13th January 2011ce
11:28

Messages in this topic: